Saturday 27 November 2010

LUDHIANA ( PART 1)

Out of all the places I visited in the punjab, Ludhiana seemed to me to be the city which is trying to go places. It certainly does not have the same amount of detritus and misery I have detected in other parts of the Punjab. Sure there is poverty, as in all India, but I sensed a more cheerful feeling in the air. The day I arrived (about four days ago), I got my rickshaw driver  to take me to a reasonable lodging near the railway station. Two reasons for this: 1. My train to Jaipur leaves on the 1st dec and I wanted to make sure I that I was reasonably closeby and 2. A city's interesting old quarter tends to be near a rail station, leading to good photographic subjects, as I hope the last nikons have shown. The hotel I have been lodging turned out to be a godsend. I was quoted 1000r to begin with, but when I pointed out I would be staying until the 1st, they dropped the price to 600r. Quite a saving, I think you'll agree. Having sorted out adequate lodgings, my next task was to find an adequate cyber cafe( with its corresponding royalty). It took me two days to find the THE FACILE, at Sarabha Nagar, Ludhiana-1, run by Dheeraj and Neeraj Sharma and their incredibly helpful crew. The only problem with this is that it's a 5km bone destroying ( and potentially life threatening) rickshaw ride twice a day. It is here that I arrive every day to do my blog communiques and send my emails. Around their lunchtime I have a brief chapati and Kingfisher light, before going back to the "office" to check on Carmens emails, because it will be mid morning in Spain by this time. By this now its time(about 4pm) that I grab another "boneshaker" ( I swear that their tyres have the width of a gerbil's willy!) and head back to my yard for a wee snooze, before getting up at about 6ish to give Carmen a call at 2.30(spanish time). This is my daily routine for the next few days. Tomorrow more Nikons and more facts about Ludhiana.

De todos los lugares en que estado en el Punjab, Ludhiana me ha parecido ser la ciudad que quiere llegar a ser algo. No tiene el mismo grado de porqueria y miseria que he encontrado en otras partes del Punjab. Por supuesto que hay pobreza como en toda la India, pero yo creo haber detectado cierto optimismo y mas alegria en el ambiente. El dia que llegue( hara unos cuatro dias), di instrucciones a mi cochero que me llevase a un hotel razonable y cerca de la estacion de ferrocarril, por dos razones: 1. Mi tren a Jaipur marcha el dia 1 diciembre y queria asegurarme que estaba bastante cerca y 2, La parte mas antigua de una ciudad suele estar cerca de la estacion, que da para unos sujetos fotograficos interesantes, como espero que estas ultimas Nikons demuestran. El hotel que elegi fue mano de santo. Primero me iban a cobrar 1000r la noche, pero cuando les dije que iba a quedarme hasta el dia 1, bajaron la tarifa a 600. Creo que estarais de acuerdo que a sido una ganga. Despues de haberme huespedado adequadamente, mi siguiente tarea fue encontrar un cyber como Dios manda(con su correspondiente realeza). Tarde dos dias encontrar THE FACILE, en Sarabha Nagar, Ludhiana-i, gerentado por Dheeraj y Neeraj Sharma y su equipo tan util. El unico problema con esto es que es un viaje quebrantahueso de 5km ( y un riesgo potencial a mi propia vida) en pedal rickshaw, dos veces al dia. Es aqui que llego todos los dias para hacer mis entradas al blog y mandar mis emilios. Sobre su hora del almuerzo me como un chapati con dahl y una cerveza Kingfisher light antes de volver a la "oficina" para ver  los emilios de Carmen, porque a esta hora sera media manana en Espana. A esta hora (las 4 de la tarde) es cuando me toca coger otro "destrozahuesos" ( os juro que los neumaticos de estos chismes no pueden ser mas anchos que la minga de un hamster!) y volver a mis aposentos para una peqena siesta, antes de levantarme sobre las 6 para llamar a Carmen a las 2ymedia( hora espanola). Esta es mi rutina para los proximos dias. Manana mas Nikons y mas sobre Ludhiana.

No comments:

Post a Comment